Thursday, November 22, 2007

Vacation Post #4: Crumbled Resolve with sweet potato side

I'd love to tell you all that I managed to stick with the diet through the Thanksgiving meal today, but that would be an all-out lie. I ate a week's portion of carbs alone today, not to mention the mounds of turkey and fruit salad. Even the green beans, which served a role as the only vegetables on the menu, were coated in cheese and creamy soup, and covered in French-fried onions.

As has become custom, I was in charge of the turkey, so I got up at 8 this morning and washed the brine off the bird, and got it started in the oven. I have also done the sweet potatoes and gravy, and did so again this year. The sweet potatoes came out sooo good this yea, I feel a great need to share the recipe. Beware, it's really hard, though. ;)

6 large sweet potaotes
1/2 c butter
2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Peel the sweet potatoes, and slice 1/2 inch thick. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the sweet potatoes and other ingredients into the saucepan and cover. Reduce to low heat and cook for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Basically, the sweet potatoes cook in syrup. They turn out firm, yet soft, and sweet as can be. I wish I had made more, though, because they were gone in a flash.

Seriously, how am I supposed to restrict myself, with all this yumminess about me, as a recovering food addict? Well, I didn't. I failed miserably. It's not a problem, though, because tomorrow I will hit the treadmill, as I have done every morning since we got here, and work it off, and get back on track.

No comments: