Saturday, November 10, 2007

Not good times, bad times

Listening to: My preliminary L mix, 120 songs. Pruning will be difficult. ;) Right now, it's Morrissey - Last of the International Playboys.

I had thought that I had never had a bad time at a concert, but Lucy's Erasure post reminded me that that was not true. So come, take a tour through my recollections as I recount the worst time I've ever spent at a concert.

The tear was 1988. I was working to save up money for my mission, and living as cheaply as possible. It was a fun time in many ways, but I was still a bit uncomfortable in my environs. I had spent a wonderful first year at college in Tucson, and really felt more at home there than in my hometown.

Anyway, when I heard that Erasure was coming to town, I knew that I had to go, so without thinking I snapped up a ticket to their show at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater, my first show there. I was really excited, until I read the date on the ticket. Oops, the show was on Sunday. I decided to go anyway, figuring it would be worse to waste the ticket. That did, however, ensure that none of my friends would be going with me. That didn't worry me either; I had had such a great experience earlier that summer at the Depeche Mode show at the Rose Bowl, meeting plenty of friendly people, I figured it wouldn't be an issue.

WRONG!

As soon as I got into the venue, I felt ill at ease. Maybe it was my conscience, but I felt distinctly uncomfortable. Maybe it was so many people with their concert T-shorts, and me without enough cash to afford one. Anyway, I went in and found that I had an aisle seat. No one had yet arrived in my row, so I sat through the opening act, whose name I forget, and who no impression on anyone around me.

During intermission, the people that sat next to me finally showed. They were a couple, and only had eyes and ears for each other. My efforts to initiate conversation were met with stony silence. Super.

The Erasure show itself went well enough, though any lingering doubts I had about Andy Bell's sexuality were completely shattered. There was little dancing, though, and I felt stupid just standing there, watching. The crowd was completely not into it. I think some people even booed when Andy went into a speech about practicing kissing boys on his pillow.

I couldn't have left faster than I did, but I still got stuck in traffic. Then some moron that was try to cross spent five minutes cussing me out loudly, because I couldn't move enough for him to pass.

Maybe it would have been better not remembered. Lather, rinse, repeat.

5 comments:

lucy said...

120 songs. wow. i suppose i should start to sort thru mine. i'm thinking this might have to be a two-part mix...but, then again, i've always made myself trim.

perhaps "l" should be one we each do, and we can compare notes afterwards.

what do you say?

lucy said...

you saw them at irvine meadows????

that's where kate & i saw them open for duran duran.

Dale said...

Nah, I think I can make the cut to ten eventually. We can do this! No rush, though.

Well, since I lived in San Juan Capistrano at the time, Irvine Meadows was the venue closest to me. I'm surprised you made the trip to the OC, but this is DD we're talking about. ;)

lucy said...

did you not know that kate & i grew up in the oc? we grew up in santa ana, so pacific ampitheatre and irvine meadows were the venues closest to us, too.

Dale said...

Santa Ana?!? Holy cow, we were practically neighbors. You've probably told me that, but sometimes I forget hose details.