Sunday, November 4, 2007

It's Sunday, so that means more things to ponder that I picked up from church today. As always, if that kind of thing makes you itchy, move on. No hard feelings.

We spent some time today in Sunday School discussing the thirteenth article of faith:

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.


Isn't that lovely? Who can't get behind a sentiment like that? Anyway, the question came up: What is the admonition of Paul?

Well, here it is, in Phillipians 4:8:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.


After giving this some careful consideration, it hit me: we need to be finding those things that are true, honest, just lovely, et cetera, wherever they may be found.

That may not be revelatory to some, but hear me out on this. We Latter-Day Saints tend to be very insular, willing to read, see, and listen to only a few things, all within the bounds of that which is "safe". In many milieus, I'm the same; I'm more comfortable going to the movies than the art museum, I don't read a lot, I play it safe in the films I do decide to watch. Really only with music do I eagerly seek out good things wherever they may be.

What I guess I'm saying, is that it's high time I get to the library and do some reading, and it's time to get to the museum in town and get my art on. I will still have my limits; still no rated R movies for me. That still leaves a lot of places for truth to be found.

But how will I know the truth when I see/read/hear it? That's easy enough; the Spirit of God testifies of truth, so as long as I stay close enough to be able to listen to the Spirit, I'll be in good hands.

No comments: