Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Severe disappointment alert

Those of you that know me, or have read this before, know that I've been job hunting for a while now. Recently, I had been working for some time for a position in San Diego. I grew up in Orange County, so San Diego was a VERY enticing destination, even without e-family there. ;)

I had had an initial interview that went fairly well, but then had not heard anything for two weeks. Yesterday, out of the blue, I got a call from the HR person asking to set up a technical interview for this morning. He even went so far as to confess that he had offered the position to another person who had turned them down. Weird, but their loss was my gain, so yay!

Apologies to those non-techies reading this, but I think you'll get the gist without knowing all the gritty details. It's just extra flavor to those that are technical.

First, the technical contact calls two hours late, so I'm already on edge. Then he fires some questions at me related to command-line tools that I don't use, and was therefore unfamiliar. He asked me some Active Directory questions, which I think I was able to answer sufficiently. He asked me if I do some scripting, and then asked me a couple of questions that I couldn't answer, because I haven't managed to remember every possible WMI service provider.

When I write a VBscript, I spend a lot of time on MSDN looking up specific service providers so I get the verbiage right. I don't memorize all that. That would be like asking Amber to figure out possible interactions with two prescriptions without using any reference material.

Anyway, after 20 minutes, he was done, I was gutted, and I just knew that I wasn't getting the job. A call back to the recruiter 30 minutes later confirmed as much.

From now on though, I'm keeping my trap shut about the whats and wheres of my job serch henceforth, until the new job is located. It's too hard dealing with this garbage with just my family, without dragging the e-fam into this as well. :(

And since I had teased Todd about it, the job was supporting the game servers running Windows for Sony Online Entertainment. Argh! How much geek love would that have been?!?

And since I did some quick Google'ing after the interview:

You change an IP address from the command prompt by typing 'netsh interface ip set address [network name] [IP address] [subnet mask] [default gateway] [metric]'.
You stop a service on a remote system by typing 'sc \\[computer] stop [service]'.
The process ID would be found by returning the ProcessId value from WMI provider Win32_Process and searching on the Name value.
And you replace text using Replace([text file],[old text],[new text])
DUH!

:((

No comments: