Thursday, October 30, 2008

Anyone ever heard of Cognizant?

Sometime last week, I got a call out of nowhere for a position in Omaha, NE, with a company called Cognizant Technologies. I schedule an interview, and end up having a brief (15 minute) technical interview. I think it goes OK; I don't know the difference between Windows 2000 DNS and Windows 2003 DNS, but I remember all the roles within Active Directory for once.

Fast forward to Tuesday. I get another call out of nowhere, this time from a project manager with the same company, telling me that I've been "accepted" for the position. Accepted?!? I'm stunned, because this is NOT the way I pictured receiving a job offer. There's no specifics about salary or anything, but he wants to send me the background screening form and a drug test. Um, okay.

Later the same day, I get another call, this time from their HR person. He at least gives me a salary range, and goes over some of the benefits. They're willing to fully pay for relocation, which is nice, and the rest of the benefits match up pretty well with where I work now. However, at this point I still have no clue what they're expecting me to do. I've not met the staff, not spoken to my soon-to-be-manager. Way too much up in the air. So I start asking for specifics on the job itself, and he can't tell me anything other than, "You know, it's Windows systems administration."

This morning, I get another call, this time from someone local, but still not the manager at the site. He's at least able to tell me how many machines, whether or not there's an on-call rotation, some of the upcoming projects, and such. It's just maintaining hardware and OS, which I do now and have really been looking to expand. Still no details about the data center and such, so I finally break down and ask for a flight for my wife and I to Omaha, so my wife can check out houses and schools and I can visit the data center and meet my teammates. He says he'll get back to me.

So, is it just me, or is there a lot of "cart before horse" happening here? Am I right to feel kinda queasy about the job?

BTW, I got an e-mail yesterday from the manager for the job in St. Louis, and they have a couple of last-minute candidates, but I'm their top candidate so far. Then again, they wouldn't pay for my on-site interview, which seems kinda chintzy. re they going to be willing to pony up the cash come job offer time, or am I going to have to fight for every little dime?

Ugh, job hunting SUX!

No comments: