Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Please tell me I made the right choice ...

No, not about the election. I feel as comfortable as I can with my choices there.

If you read my previous blog (and if you haven't, go ahead, this isn't going anywhere), I posted that I had essentially been offered a job with Cognizant Technologies, to move to Omaha, NE and work as a Windows systems administrator. They had couched it in some strange language, but that is essentially when they were doing. They had not given me a definite salary figure, but the money figure being tossed around was far above not only what I'm making now, but way above market value as I have seen it. They also offered to cover relocation, which is something I've been wanting.

Today, I told them no thanks.

The reason I said no is because the position as described would not give me any additional opportunities for growth as a sysadmin. My responsibilities as a sysadmin would have consisted of hardware and OS, which is pretty much what my job is now. In fact, it's even less, as I manage the patching and security audits here and now.

They did inform me that they would consider fast-tracking me into project management, but to be honest (and no offense to the PM's here), that's not where I'd like to go with my career. I'm really looking to diversify my technical skills at this time; you know, get more into open-source, SQL, Exchange.

The HR person with whom I spoke was polite but clearly disappointed. I can't blame him, but I didn't want to drag it out any further if I had no real intention of taking the job.

Stil not completely sure I did the right thing though. ::sigh::

1 comment:

Jonie Sturek said...

Its important to feel like you did the right thing, but to be honest, there is so much growth in Omaha and the tech field that a move here may have been just what you needed for your long term goals. We have tech companies such as Google and Yahoo coming to our area and it is a sign that more companies are going to follow suit.