Sunday, June 22, 2008

The devil, sleepy driver, and a big sail - Gils Camp Day 1

(simulcast on MOG)

I spent last week "swimming in the estrogen ocean," as I put it in a previous post. To be more descriptive, I spent Monday through Friday last week with about 100 women and girls, all LDS and all from west Wichita and the surrounding towns, at their annual camp, deep in the heart of Oklahoma. Yeah, 100 women and 4 men, we were a bit outnumbered. We were also far removed from cell phones and malls and other distractions, so the girls got the learn to cook outside and sing silly songs and bond together. Us four men were there mostly to do man things like heavy lifting, removing pests and unclogging toilets, but we were able to do more than that, rest assured.

Late last Sunday night, I ran a few things out to Gale, our leader and one of the finest men it's been my pleasure to meet. While there, he scared me a bit by saying that he had a "dark vision" and to be sure to pray before we left that the girls would be protected and kept from Satan's grasp. Unfortunately, he didn't elaborate until much later in the week, so I had a lot to chew on that night and didn't sleep much.

Monday arose warm and muggy as Melissa and I went to church to meet up with everyone else who was going. Oh yes, we both went this year; her mom watched the kids so we could do so. Melissa ran the kitchen staff this year, which is beyond funny as I do most of the cooking at home. We checked in on the girls that we knew, and most were excited to go, although the first-year campers were very nervous as well. It didn't look like anyone had much sleep. I packed the essentials: trail mix and baby carrots to keep me from running for candy, towel and toiletries, and of course the Gigabeat which had to be kept on the DL since the girls weren't allowed to bring any electronics. Heehee. Alas, that means no camera, so no pix, boo.

This year, instead of having many people drive a few girls, we rented two school buses to drive most everyone down. The drivers appeared to be competent and ready to go, so we got the girls piled into the buses and I said goodbye to Melissa, who would be driving in later with the food. I took a seat near the back and prepared to take a nice long nap for the four hours until we arrived.

About 30 minutes into our drive, one of the adults near me pointed and said that she thought the driver was sleeping. I didn't think so at first glance, but another adult up front concurred, so I walked up close to confirm. Sure enough, he was rubbing his face and head in that same way that I've done on so many trips driving at 2AM from a show. Oh great, he is sleepy! Driving all thoughts of sleep out of my own head, I grab my stuff and sit right behind him so I can talk to him and keep him alert(er) the whole trip. It wasn't perfect, but after a couple of long stops we managed to get to camp, a bit shaken but none the worse for wear. We do however inform the camp leaders so they know to call the company to request a different driver for the trip home.

After checking in, I proceed to my home away from home, to find that we scored the only place with central air in the whole camp. w00t! I meet up with Gale and our other two men, Jim and Chris. Gale, Jim and I have done this the past three years, so we work together really well, but Chris is a n00b, so we take some time to go over the basics, then we get started setting things up.

First thing to set up is coolers filled with ice water, a clear necessity in summer. We dig up as many coolers as we can find, fill them with ice and water, and set them out strategically throughout the camp. So far, so good.

The next big project is to set up four large canopies so the girls can get respite from the sun, rain, or wind. Two need to be set up at the water front, so Chris and I set about it. Of course, while we do so a fierce wind kicks up, so as we attach the canvas fabric to the metal frame we about get taken on a ride. After two good hours of sweating and stressing, we manage to get them tied down enough that we think they'll stay in place. Just in time too, as by the time we return to our base, the rain starts to fall.

After dinner, it's back to work, so after a quick meeting, it's off to the cabins to ensure that the girls are all safely inside. I check in with the girls from my ward and find them playing nicely together while decorating their cabin. I get a few minutes to talk to Melissa about her trip down, which wasn't as eventful as mine, and then head back to set up more stuff, including a campfire for the second-year campers for s'mores and such. Yum! It was about 11:30 when I finally crashed on my bed and grabbed the Gigabeat for some bedside listening before getting shut-eye.

More tomorrow, sleep now.

No comments: