Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Gigabeat RIP 02/22/2007 - 07/22/2008

I posted this as a comment on Lizzie's MOG post, but though you might all want to know. I mean, sheesh! Seventeen months! I've had friendships last monger than that!

Tuesday night, I was getting ready to work out at the local YMCA, and was changing clothes, when I reached for the Gigabeat and its case. Alas, I had failed to zip up the case, because I jerked it out of my bag, and the Gigabeat flew out of the case and crashed to the floor. I ran over to retrieve it, and saw that the shell had flown open, and the LCD had stuck out. I gently put it back together and turned it back on. The LCD failed to start, but the player worked enough that it would play my current playlist.

I took it home, put it under some lights, and tried to do as much surgery as I could, but nothing worked. It boots, all the data remains thereon, but no screen so I can't change what's playing.

I've been looking around on eBay all night, but the Gigabeat model I had is fairly old now, and not readily available. I'm even considering the leap to a same-size (gulp) iPod.

No comments: