Monday, March 17, 2008

Corned Beef (no cabbage, thanks)

Last Saturday, I was out with the boys doing the grocery shopping. I had planned on doing a nice simple beef stew for St. Patrick's Day dinner, but came upon a lovely corned beef brisket at a price that made it practically leap into our cart.

Today, it's been cloudy and rainy enough to really evoke images of Eire, except for the lack of greenery. Oh well. It got me in the mood.

So, I busted out my cast-iron Dutch oven, and put it over medium heat on the stove. I then smashed a couple of garlic cloves and threw them in with two tablespoons oil. Once the oil was hot, I took out the brisket, which I had washed in cold water to get the goo off it, and placed it in the pot. I fried it for about five minutes each side. Meanwhile I cut two onions into quarters and halved six small red potatoes, then cut six carrots into large chunks. After the meat had finished browning, I tossed in the veggies and added enough water to cover the meat. Finally, I put the lid on the Dutch oven, then put it in a 350 degree oven for 2 and a half hours.

The family was really nervous at first ("It's still pink!"), but after having a taste, we all agreed it had come out well. I might just keep this in the back of my mind for future St. Patrick's Days.

No comments: